Friday, October 01, 2010

Productivity

I've been pretty productive on one side of my life, at least. I may have not been able to clean house and cook dinner for the last three weeks, but I have been able to get some scrapbooking done!! (YAY!!!)

I was busy the last four weeks in a BPC (formerly BPS) class taught by May Flaum. The goal was to Use Your Stash . . . and I did, but still just minimally. I think I'm going to be taking a break on churning out layouts and really focus on quality over the next few months, as well as organizing my key inspiration and support. My PHOTOS are organized thanks to Stacy Julian, my PRODUCT is organized thanks to Wendy Smedley, and now I'm focusing on getting my stories organized thanks to Karen Grunburg's class Book of Stories (and yep, sorry . . . it's too late to join but I highly recommend it if it's offered again!!). Picture Fall (there's still time to join if you're so inclined) also just started with Tracey Clark of Shutter Sisters and I'm hoping to bring in fall with full appreciation this year.

The class I just finished was Adventures in Scrapbooking: Use Your Stash and there was GREAT infomation shared in the message boards about products that may have been forgotten about or that we just bought too much of. That will be one that I hope to frequently revisit. I also didn't do "every" layout yet and May also provided us with a new sketch every Monday of class . . . so inspiration is there waiting for me when I revisit.

The first week started off with Chipboard as the stash to focus on for May. I took her challenge (but only completed one layout that week) and also focused on chipboard. Here was the layout I created for that one.

Sorry for the crooked picture. The journaling reads: Spending some 1-on-1 time with Nana in St. Augustine after Matthew was born. Summer 2002.


The next layouts I accomplished were about a week or so later. I had my surgery the day I finished the above layout (Wednesday, September 8), and then I was laid up through the weekend and on crutches. A friend and I belong to a monthly layout club through our local scrapbook store and Basic Grey and I was so excited about this paper (Oliver line) and the accompanying directions for the layout, that I came home that night and started working again. It took me a few days to finish since I couldn't sit long, but I'm quite happy with the results!


again sorry for the crooked pictures. These were some favorite shots I had from Matthew's football season last year. Journaling reads: Matthew's 2nd season of football was awesome. Full-time linebacker - (heart)'s hitting hard and even forced a fumble vs. West Augusine!


May had done a layout in one of her handouts about Halloween one year, and I started getting in the Halloween frame of mind. I pulled out some oranges and blacks and some OLD Halloween product stash and created the above layout. Journaling reads: This year Halloween fell on a Saturday . . . the Saturday of Florida-Georgia too . . . so Kristen chose to go to the game and skip Halloween. Lance was the Transformer Bumblebee. Matthew dressed up as Snake Eyes from GIJoe. They loved those costumes and played their parts well.


While I was in my Fall 2009 storage binder, I also found these pumpkin patch photos that I also wanted to scrapbook . . . and so I did! Don't you love it how that can happen. I couldn't believe how LITTLE STASH I had for Halloween. This was some old CTMH paper that I had used on a layout or two from Kristen's 3 or 4 yo Halloween, and I added in one of my Fiskars border punches (Apron Lace I believe). The silouetted pumpkin (I can't believe I did that) is pop-dotted and says, "the boys designed this one," around the edge). Journaling on this one reads: We had an adventure going a full weekend before Halloween to pick out our pumpkin at the OP United Methodist Church. We carved it that evening, but bad weather came and rotted our awesome Jack O'Lantern before we made it to Halloween the next weekend. Only Lances little pumpkin remained uncarved & unrotted. 10/09


On this layout, I moved on to a layout May had in the handouts focusing on the one "odd" photo. I really have a LOT of stories that can be told with just one photo, so I decided to use this one twice (see below). This is of my kids acting completely silly as they always do at the Photo Op at St. Augustine's alligator farm. I used some red paper with the october afternoon pp (diamonds) to help bring out the fun playful feel . . . and didn't focus at all on the trip TO the Alligator Farm, but rather what was going on in our lives RIGHT NOW. My hope is that the kids will instantly remember the month between us selling our old house and looking for and bying our new house when we had to move down the road to a 3rd floor apartment. It was AWFUL. The tag reads: Today - we were all just thankful to be out of the third floor, 3-bedroom apartment and enjoy some family time.


While I was working on that above layout, I realized I still had this one odd photo from the earlier Halloween photos too. While it was from Halloween, I didn't want to focus on that aspect. Rather, I wanted to focus on the character trait that my son showed his family and just one further example of how he does in fact, love his sister. He did this on his own, and I snapped a photo of what was waiting for my daughter when she returned home from the weekend with my parents. If you can't read the note, it reads: To Kristen From Matthew I hope you like this and that image is four baggies full of yummy candy that SHE loves . . . not just junk that he wanted to get rid of. Journaling reads: I love it when I see people being thoughtful to others. I love it even more when it happens to be one of my children to a sibling. This was one time that made my heart sing. Candy is very precious to Matthew, and because Kristen chose to go to the Gator game instead, he gave away some of his. (heart) you Buddy!



This is going back to the design of May's "halloween layout" that I mentioned above when I became inspired to do a few Halloween layouts myself. I didn't use her actual design in that one, but was inspired to when I came across a set of photos with a similar number. This one is also from July 2009 . . . probably the same week or so of the Alligator Farm picture . . . we were most definitely still in our 3rd floor apartment. We visit Sea World a LOT, and so I often don't take pictures of everything anymore, but on this trip, there were a lot more pictures than I though of this one exhibit because the kids loved it so much. It's the Manta Aquarium that goes along with the new Manta rollercoaster, where it's more like hang-gliding than sitting in a seat. The kids have always loved the ocean, so I really shouldn't have been surprised how much they loved this - and it helped that it was cool and air conditioned too! Journaling reads: The Manta was a new roller coaster that opened this past year at Sea World. Kristen is the only one of us who has gotten to ride it, but the boys and I discovered this little gem while we waited . . . and brought her back through. There's an awesome octopus, but the favorites are the guitar fish and standing under the rays as they glide above . . . and of course, acting like goofballs in the aquarium tunnel.


I have SO MUCH inspiration in my class files and in my own head and throughout the internet that I really feel I need to take a break from immersing myself in inspiration and get busy making some layouts - some QUALITY layouts. Ella Publishing had a "Friends" call this past month, and while I considered entering since Ella is a company I wholeheartedly believe in, I just didn't think I had enough quality layouts to send in . . . here's hoping the next time that happens, I'm ready.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, girlfriend, you've been busy! Beautiful LOs. I LOVE how you were inspired to make the "Thoughtful" LO while working on a Halloween page.

Laura said...

All of your layouts look GREAT! I love that Oliver paper too. I only have one sheet right now, but I can't wait to use it. :)

I have been busy trying to use my stash also! :)