Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Okay, well, I had a real "duh" moment here on the blog. The previous post was not at all happening in 2007; rather 2005! Whoops!

Anyhow, today has been crazy busy - again . . . and I've yet to work on my layout for LOAD again. Maybe this evening after the kids are in bed. I did create this layout late last week though and I thought I'd share here.

The template is actually by Ali Edwards from the Yesterday+Today class I took (and the papers are October Meeting from Correen Silke). I love that with my Library of Memories system in place, I could write my story and my feelings; and then search my digital files for a photo that I felt "went" with the story. Is it a photo of my son dealing with school? nope. Is it a photo of my son at soccer practice? Yep, sure is! Who would have known, right? What you need to know is it doesn't really matter. It IS a photo of the son I'm writing about, during the time frame where he was struggling. I found this easily and right when I wanted it because I have a tag in my digital organizer (PSE 7) that allows me to pull photos that I especially feel drawn to for each person in my family. Do I put this tag on every photo of that person in my digital catalog? Heck no! Just the ones I feel particularly drawn to; those images that i feel portray that part of their life right then, or that I just KNOW I want to scrapbook in some way.

This whole ordeal at school has been weighing heavy on my heart and I needed to get some things on paper.  He's been in specialized tutoring, had quite a bit of testing and counseling done, and we've definitely had our struggles at home, but I wanted to share a success with you all!! This week, he seems to be EXCITED about school again. This week, they did a writing assessment and he just came home talking up a storm about what he wrote about. This week, he's excited to go to the library with his class and pick out a new chapter book. This week, he finishd his math fact paper during a four-day period. This week, he almost got an A on his spelling test. This week, he is working on homework BEFORE he gets home (on the bus); and not fighting with me about it at home.

By no means do I expect all weeks to be like this. I'm sure we'll have our ups-and-downs. Who doesn't? But it's definitely a glimmer of hope that he'll be happy in a learning environment again one day.

He is in a classroom with 30 kids and two teachers who co-teach full-time, which gives him awesome student-teacher ratios in 2nd grade. These teachers have been so fabulous with him, and for that I am very grateful. They understand that not all kids are the same, and that some very intelligent children just need a little change from everyone else in order to succeed. I've been busy planning for a baby shower the class is throwing in conjunction with their Valentine's Day activities for one of these teachers; but that's not to really show my appreciation. I will be planning something special to share with them sometime soon. I'm not sure what quite yet . . . if you have any ideas, please share! But I don't want to wait until "teacher appreciation week." I'm feeling grateful now, and I want them to know.

Who are you grateful for today? Who will you take that extra minute out of your crazy busy day to let them know how important they are to you? Will you be doing anything special for them?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad things are on an upswing this week! And the LO is beautiful. You should connect with Jenny about teacher gifts... I know she was working on some for Christmas.

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I'm so glad that things are going well with your son this week. That's awesome! I love this page, too.