Tuesday, January 05, 2010

This class changed my life . . .

Library of Memories, taught by the one and only Stacy Julian, is OPEN for registration. I hinted about it on this post (yeah, it's there, down towards the very bottom), but I came back to tell you just how much this class has changed my life. Read on . . .

Back in 2001, I had just ventured into my very first scrapbooking store. I was overwhelmed with how and where to start since my daughter was already six years old. On the magazine rack, I started this book titled Simple Scrapbooks (the book in which the magazine was based off of long before it was a magazine). I browsed through it, and bought it. It had tons of fabulous ideas and I was excited about tackling my albums in bite-size chunks. One of Stacy's ideas was a Family Fun Library, and this one really hit home. It was all about writing your story and linking to layouts in "library albums" by category. While I loved the idea, I got stumped with how to keep up with that story (typing everything up and adding to it as the months went by). Eventually, I let it go. I was still struggling with TONS of prints too, since I didn't own a digital camera at this point.

Enter 2006 and I heard through a friend that Stacy was teaching Library of Memories (LOM) at her new website for online education. Unfortunately, I didn't make it into that 2006 class. It was full before I could register, but I did make it into 2007s class. I pretty much set up my library that year. My photos were organized to where I could put a finger on what I wanted to scrapbook; photos, for the first time ever, were seeing the light of day because I was printing them. My boys (who weren't around in 2001) were seeing them in photos and enjoying looking through their own memories through my photos. The look on their faces when they realized they had had a first birthday party and who all was there was astounding. Yes, they were loved, and now they knew it through the images that were captured and shown to them in my storage binders (the loose chronological storage system used in LOM). Not only this, but in class you start setting up category drawers by themes. Now, when I'm out for a walk with my kids and one of them says something particularly cute or funny, I can go find a photo I loved and wanted to scrapbook (but didn't necessarily have a story to go with it), and scrapbook the memory - right away. This, my friends, is what is referred to as "inspiration-based scrapbooking."

It's not using your photos as the memory trigger, it's using life as the memory trigger. And, that is a very BIG thing.

If you've been frustrated that you're not scrapbooking what you really want to be scrapbooking, and it's maybe caused you to stop taking photos completely, or you're just not inspired to scrapbook anymore, you really need to take some of your money and splurge on this class . . . for YOU. Scrapbooking is important!

If you've taken this class, please feel free to share your thoughts in a comment, or if you're planning on taking it this year (or anytime in the future) I'd love to hear that too! :-) I know LOM has touched many of us!

3 comments:

April said...

I didn't think LOM was for me becuase I have most of my photos on digi... but now I see the use of it. It is going to be huge for me just to keep up with Design Your Life... but next year I will be looking more closely at LOM.

I think the reason I blog so much and have let my scrapbooking fall by the wayside is exactly this concept of life inspired recording....

Kim said...

I loved LOM! It is an incredible course. I learned so much. And it works for Digital Photos too. I have folders for each of my family members.

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

It changed my life. I can't say enough about how this class can change your whole way of thinking about scrapbooking. I like the way you put it!