Tuesday, January 05, 2010

One Little Word

One little word can do amazing things. by being one, it automatically increases its value exponentially and takes on an entirely new focus. Inspired by Ali Edwards and her One Little Word project, I made sure to take time and reflect on my past year and come up with my own One Little Word. Something that speaks to my heart, that is something I want to focus on in my life this upcoming year. I did this in 2008 (but it fell off the chart), didn't come up with one in 2009 because I didn't want to fail again, and decided to plunge into it again this year. The time is now, and a word has kept coming up in my thoughts the past few weeks, an underlying theme that I need to spend more time on. That one little word, my friends, is PRESENT. Not just a present as in a gift, but the present - focusing on the here and now, not the past and not the future.



Stop worrying, stop dwelling and enjoy here and now,  with who I'm with and where I'm going. I know I won't be able to do this EVERY moment, as I think it's good to spend some time reflecting on the past, as well as doing some planning for the future . . . but I'm not going to do it randomly - rather, focus on what I've got in front of me, while it's here.

Originally, I had chosen the word Engage - even tweeted about it - but in the end, it didn't focus on what I wanted. Something about it sounded wrong . . . I wanted to be actively engaging in my life; but the fact of the matter is, I want to be present more. I've had tastes and little glimpses of being present when I set up projects, but I want to work on it even more . . . to make it such a routine habit that it becomes easy and I can remember little snippets of my day with my kids, even find a way to enjoy chores in my house, and not be reactive to my environment but form what I want around me; to be proactive and present in my life, every day.

Did you decide to do the One Little Word this year? I'd love to know what yours was. Please share with me!

5 comments:

Laura @ Cameron Crazy said...

my word this year is FOCUS. i really need to focus more on my family and housekeeping. :)

Maureen said...

I'm thinking still, maybe 15, as in just spend 15 minutes on a task and see where it takes me....

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

My word is courage. I keep trying to come up with something that sums it up better, but haven't found anything. So that's my word!

Lain said...

Mine is LIGHT. I'm doing a series on this topic on my blog - the first was http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/five_things/2009/12/one-little-word-5-tips-for-making-it-last.html. The next is tomorrow!
Stop by and check it out (in your spare time -- haha!).
xoxo
L

Marygail said...

My word for this year is "Finish". Doing Finish it Fridays every week, where I work on an unfinished scrapbooking project a little bit throughout the week and FINISH it on Fridays.