Friday, January 08, 2010

Musical "blog train"

Today I've been thinking about music. Helen organized a blog train to celebrate the music in our lives and I couldn't resist. We chose today as it would have been Elvis' 75th birthday, and of course, where would our music be without a little Elvis?

If this is your first stop, or you're early in your trip, no worries, the train runs in a circle so from here, you'll just start again at Helen's blog and follow until you get back to your starting blog! In case any link is broken along the way, I've also included a list of participating blogs at the bottom of this post.

*******************************************************************************************

I love all kinds of music. Not just Top 40 mix, but everything, from classical to country and even to heavy metal. Music has always spoken to my soul in the many facets of emotions throughout my entire life. While I was never personally talented enough to sing, or learn to play the guitar, I could still name every artist and song on the radio when I was younger, AND be able to tell you all the words too.

I attribute my love of music to my dad. He did sing . . . and play the guitar . . . and owned a lot of 8 tracks and LPs . . . and every year under the Christmas tree, whatever music store gift certificate (yeah, in the days before "gift cards") I would get, I knew he was behind it, pushing that love. He opened my eyes to The Oakridge Boys, the Righteous Brothers, and Peter, Paul and Mary. He took me to my first concert, and even my second and third, and he didn't try and stop me from enjoying whatever music I wanted to listen to. In middle school, that music was more along the rock and heavy metal sounds. You know, Poison, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Alice Cooper, and many, many more . . . and while I loved all of them, I think my favorite band from that era was Bon Jovi. I made sure to see them every time they came to town, and they always put on a fabulous show. To this day, I still love the music that Bon Jovi created, and is still creating.

On that note, here's a video of my all-time favorite Bon Jovi song, Livin' on a Prayer.




Ahh, seriously, I could watch that over and over again . . . all day long. I even still love the hair! lol



In honor of my love of music and what it means to me, I created this layout. This layout was based off of a sketch we received in Ali Edward's Big Picture Scrapbooking class, Yesterday+Today. It was about putting the focus back on the words when you had no photos available (and off of all the extra embellishments). When I felt inspired to create this layout after doing the journaling for this post, I knew I had some childhood photos of posters in my room and of me at a concert or two, and maybe even my collection of tapes and cds . . . but I have a little secret to share. My childhood photos. My childhood photos are everywhere, and in no particular order, and though I spent about 30 minutes looking for them, I still couldn't locate anything appropriate and I didn't feel like trolling the internet for a stock photo. While I have a goal to work on that issue this next year, the fact remains is that I didn't have a photo for this layout, so I chose to use a few different patterned papers instead of a photo.







I used PSE 7.0 for the journaling, set into a layered template from Ali, but turned off all the layers, created my own layer for the title, and used Garamond and Amelie fonts. Most of the journaling was taken straight from the above post, though I did add some extra at the bottom. You can click on any of the images to see it larger.


*******************************************************************************************
Thanks again for stopping by!!
If you're just joining the train at this location, it just circles around. You'll go back to the top of the list with Helen and follow down until you reach your starting blog again. Thanks for joining us on our ride and I hope you had a lot of fun!!

Below are the participants in the Musical Blog Train in case you missed a stop.
Laura http://www.brown-eyed-blog.blogspot.com/
Deana http://www.deanabirks.com/
Melissa http://www.sunlight-simplicity.blogspot.com/
April http://capturethememories.blogspot.com/ (You are here!)

8 comments:

Nadine said...

am totally loving the simplicity
of your LO (:

TFS~

Laura Y said...

Simple, modern and wonderful journaling. Love AAR, Green Day and Blue October too. This train was so fun!

rockchickhelen said...

Such a simple yet effective layout, I think it looks great for not having any photos. Thank you for joining us in the blog train.
Helen :)

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Another Peter, Paul and Mary fan! And I've always loved Bon Jovi too. I was beyond excited when they did Crossroads with Sugarland. Love your layout too. I like how you adapted the template for a different topic.

Laura @ Cameron Crazy said...

this is great! i really love those sketches from ali's class :)

ceruleanblue said...

I like that you have incororated some of the text from your post into the journalling, very AliE!!
Thanks for sharing your musical journey :)
PS, my fave Bon Jove song is Keep The Faith

{melissa} said...

gorgeous! it perfectly conveys your sentiment. :)

Cheryl said...

Add Bon Jovi to the list of things we have in common. :) Your LO is absolutely beautiful!