Saturday, January 09, 2010

Holiday Card Idea

In the last week, I've been celebrating the fact that all of our holiday decorations have already been pulled down and packed away. While I love the holidays, and even rearranging our furniture to fit our tree, I must admit that after a little over a month of having it all out, I'm quite ready for it to all be put away too. During the holiday season, I had a basket shaped like a sleigh that collected all of our holiday cards that sat on our kitchen counter this year. After I had put the basket away, the stack of cards remained . . . piled in a hot spot on my kitchen counter waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I had actually contemplated throwing them away . . . until I read Ali's blog post here. I took a square punch to the cards that very night.

Here's the resulting layout:



I started with a mix of sizes, but when it came down to arranging them, it was difficult to find a layout I liked. Since 1.5" was the smallest punch I used, I found a way to punch the larger sizes down to that for consistency. I was left with one open square and put our initial in it. I love it. For now, it'll go in the Poeple We Love album with thoughts in the back of my mind with moving it to a family Christmas album if I ever get to that point.

Last year, I just trashed my Christmas cards (gasp), but had I known how easy this was, I would have done this in a heartbeat! I love hanging on to the ever-changing faces and sentiments from loved ones near and far.

What about you? What do you do with your Christmas cards? Save them, trash them? If you save them, what do you do with them? I'd love to have other options besides sticking them in a pile to be dealt with later, but I'm also not one for making pocket pages and saving them whole.


7 comments:

Librarybug said...

This is a great idea! I'm gonna do it, too! :)

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I have a completely different way of doing my Christmas cards, and I think I'll do a post about it soon. I used to do the pocket pages, and then decided last year that I didn't like it. So I had several years of cards and photo cards to do something with. I made a separate layout for each family who regularly sends us cards, and for photo cards, just put several of the cards on a page and then did a little journaling about why that family is special to us. For cards with notes, I cut out the notes, and maybe a little of the picture (especially if it had some significance to the family who sent it to us, and again journaled about why the family was important to us. Since most of the people we don't get to see often, it's the only way to get them into my LOM.

Lain said...

I've done this for several years... now I have a bunch of manila envelopes held together with binder rings, all decorated and labeled with the year. I tuck each year's cards in the appropriate envelope. I tried to find a pic -- I'll have to take one for you!

Laura @ Cameron Crazy said...

I love this idea, and am now doing it will ALL my cards. Not just my Christmas ones. I get so attached to them for whatever reason and this is the perfect solution for me.

I know I have old cards around here everywhere. I am now tracking them all down so I can turn them into nice keepsake pages. :)

Margie said...

I did this with my cards two years ago, but mine is much smaller. I love the look of this. And I think it is a great way to capture some faces, the trends of some of the cards and just general Xmas cheer! I love yours.

Jessica Griffin said...

I absolutely LOVE your layout!! Very clever to recycle the cards! I recently purchased a bind it all and was thinking about binding the cards after X amount of years. Sounds more like a pain however... I've seen some someone remake Christmas cards out of the cards they received the year prior. I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture!!

Cheryl said...

This is awesome, April! Love it!