Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I AM

a Stay-at-Home Mom . . .

But how in the world did I get here? I had dreams and aspirations that certainly didn't include children before the age of thirty and it DID include a whole lot of travel and seeing the world.

What paths in my life have gotten me where I am?

This someplace I never thought I'd be. As I was sitting here last Thursday afternooon listening to Ali's new audio for her BPS class that I'm in, it was about change and growth, and how we've become the person we are today from yesterday, my mind started to wander.

Now, I get completely that she's talking about our personal journey through our life (and I was reminiscing about that too) but I just could not help my mind from wandering about how my schedule and my life were so different back when I was a mom to only one child and working full time, to a mom of three children, staying at home and being where I am. right now. today.

Strange huh? (okay, maybe not for some of you, but usually, when I'm focused on doing something, I stay focused on it) . . .

so, ten years ago . . .
I was a newlywed . . .
I was a mom to one 5 year old daughter . . .
I worked full-time as a fifth grade teacher . . .
I had never even heard of scrapbooking . . .
I would get up early in the mornings, it was still dark out (usually around 5:30 am) and grab a cup of coffee out of the kitchen (we always set the timer back then). My husband was always still asleep at this time of day.
I would take a shower, get ready for the day, and my daughter would be responsible and often wake up on her own.
I would make sure her clothes matched (she always has had such good taste in clothes) and teeth brushed and face cleaned and we'd head out the door.
Then we'd rush out the door to drop her off at before and after school care. She always ate breakfast there because I didn't want to wake her up too early and there was plenty of time between the 6:30 drop off time and the 7:45 bus for her to eat.
I'd spend my day at school and often stay until 4:30 or 5 - paperwork, cleaning up the room, meetings, lesson plans . . . I was after all a first year teacher, and it seemed like I lived at that classroom (a very cold portable in the back of the school that wasn't in the best area of town).

Around 5 pm, I'd be picking up my daughter and fighting rush hour traffic home from her daycare.
We'd get home and I'd start dinner (but more than likely, we'd head to Mickey D's because it was likely that hubby wouldn't be home on time. He was in the start of his career as well with high aspirations of making it big in the company) and we'd do homework at the kitchen table.
7:00 brought bathtime and story time. My daughter always loved having her hair dryed for her. She'd sit on the floor criss-cross applesauce and I'd sit on the sofa behind her and I'd just brush and dry her hair. She loved it . . . and we'd watch some tv time just for her.
At bedtime, we'd tuck her in, she'd say her prayers, and we'd always have a discussion about who loved who more. I always won because I'd always say "to infinity and beyond" in my best BuzzLightyear voice!
Once I got her into bed, I'd load the dishes up, and pick up the "hot spots" around the house, and work on more grading (or I should have been). Most of the time I just vegged in front of the TV like I was braindead, wondering when my dear husband would be home.

Weekends were spent doing the house and yard work . . . K had her chores, as did hubby and I and we worked . . . and workded some more. K was an easy child - doing her work and then playing with neighborhood friends. We weren't the Saturday sports people back then.

Now . . . Today?

I don't think I could even look at one day now and say that it had the exact same schedule as another day in that entire week.  Now, life is not boring . . . life is crazy. And unpredictable. We're constantly on the go . . . whether to football, swim practice, after-school activities, and constant grocery shopping

(Do you have any idea what two growing boys eat through in just a few short days?? That's another story, I guess.)

As Martha would say, "it's a good thing."

I'm embracing th chaos and joy in my life. It's good that M and L have joined our family . . . and we have a richer, fuller life with them in it.

8 comments:

Angela said...

I loved this post - I can't imagine how my life will change when I have kids, but it sure sounds hectic!

Lee said...

Good thing you learned to embrace the chaos, the real trouble starts when you try to control it :) I have a very similar post in the works - my 15th anniversary is in ... eek, two days!

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Wow. This has me thinking how my life has changed in ten years. For the better, certainly, but so different now than then. I always love reading your blog anyway. Thanks for letting us in!

Deana Birks said...

Ah, yes. Chaos and I are on a first-name basis; I definitely relate to your post. I thought life would slow down but it never seems to.

Kathy M said...

great post. did you use it for your journaling for Ali E's class?

6p01156f3ca993970c said...

Love this post...your storytelling is excellent!

Jeanne said...

Fantastic post! Gets me thinking back to 10 years ago.

You are amazing!

Laura said...

Great story. I could never go back 10 years. The past year in my life has been crazy enough without going back any further. Hehe. :)