Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Favorite Sesame Street Memories

With Sesame Street getting ready to celebrate it's 40th anniversary in the next week, I thought I'd relive some of my favorite Sesame Street memories from my childhood! I really credit my love of learning in part to watching Sesame Street every morning while waiting to go to daycare and preschool. I hope you enjoy!

Ahhh, first off, The Ladybug Picnic . . . I loved this. I loved the ladybugs, I loved the idea of a picnic, and I almost think I loved the counting too!




A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter . . . a sesame street idea on helping kids with their memory. I wish this one had stuck a little more, but I do use this method with my kids, as well as backtracking to help them with theirs!




Red Balls 1, 2, 3 . . . watching those balls go through their little roller coaster ride was very entransing. I could watch it for hours . . . the fact that the balls ended up being cherries in a float was just that much better!




How to Make Crayons: ahh, I love a good box of brand new crayons, and my favorite part in this was watching one color get joined with all the others and placed into that box. Isn't it interesting to see all of the people working in the factory when everything these days is so automated; and they look so happy working in there too!




And . . . . drumroll please . . .

my favorite all-time Sesame Street Memory, the one that just made me laugh every time I watched it (and still does to this day) is C is for Cookie by Cookie Monster!



Thanks for following my walk down memory lane in honor of Sesame Street! Do you have a favorite Sesame Street memory that you'd like to share?

18 comments:

20Birds said...

you have taken me on a journey of memories,... wow i shared one of these with my daughter, who could not believe it existed before her

Sian said...

This is a wonderful idea for a post! I love it.

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

We were just talking about the "loaf of bread. . ." segment the other day, and my two year old loved sitting here with me to watch!

Gennifer said...

Red Ball 1,2,3 is one of my favorite Sesame Street memories, too! No one ever gets it when I shout out "1,2,3!" really fast, though.

scrappyjacky said...

I remember watching Sesame Street with my kids....they loved big bird....don't even know if it's still on UK TV.

Jeanne said...

Wow! Love this! I used to like seeing Susan and Bob (who STILL shows up on the street). As for songs, I always like Rubber Ducky sung by Ernie. I don't remember specifics of the shows too much, but I can still picture myself sitting on the couch all snuggled up to watch. LOL

Okay...you do remember Schoolhouse Rock videos? Conjunction Junction, that's my function? I got a dvd that has all of those on it.

Dang...look what this started. LOL

Karen said...

Just love this blog post and I am now sitting here with a smile from ear to ear - thank you so much xxx

PaperTurtle said...

I found you through Shimelle's class...what a great post! "C is for Cookie" is one of my favorites!!! My daughter is 21 and when she was little I used to sing "C is for Carrie..."

Lain said...

I totally have to lift this blog topic from you!

bcre8uv said...

The loaf of bread, container of milk, & stick of butter always cracked my brother & I up...we used to try to do that walk that she does on the way to the market.

Kel said...

You picked some of my absolute favourites. It's ridiculous, I have tears in my eyes now. Thank you so much for sharing, I'm going to watch ALL of them!

Laura said...

Wow! Love this. :) Cookie Monster was always one of my favorites too. :)

Lee said...

I have to agree with the Cookie Monster clip, my absolute FAVE! The other one? Mana-mana do do di do do ...

I can't believe it's 40 years already. I was in Boston when it first started and remember going to tapings (alas, I am that old). I counted to 20 with Ernie. What a thrill :)

Karen said...

We were lucky enough to hear the CEO of Sesame Street speak a year or so ago. I was amazed to find out that there are Sesame Streets in many, many countries around the world. All of them are different and written to address the cultural challenges kids face in that country. It's such an awesome show.

Beverly said...

Very cool post! I loved the crayon making segment but have to admit I saw it with my children not as a child. I went to the NY State Museum this summer and they had a Sesame Street exhibit with the building and stoop.

Linda said...

So many fun memories here!
I'm swedish so we always laughed a little bit more when we saw the Swedish chef, but I loved everything about Sesame Street. Thanks for sharing this!

Totally Rawkin Designs said...

Wow you definitely brought back some memories! Gonna have to blog my own..thanks yall!

Cheryl said...

As if I didn't already know that we're two peas in a pod, this is further proof. I thought I was the only one who remembered a loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter. I love your memories; so many of them are among my favorites, too. Thanks for the fabulous trip down memory lane!