Wednesday, November 11, 2009

10 FUN Things To Do When the Kids Are Out of School for a Holiday in the Middle of the Week

Ugh, first of all, let me voice my frustration that the kids have TODAY off, in the middle of the week, as Veteran's Day in the past was always observed on the Monday before or the Friday after the holiday. All of the kids have been quite hyper for the teachers this week (not just mine) and they won't be able to accomplish much tomorrow either . . .

I do want to THANK all the soldiers who have stood for our country - in times of war and peace. I don't want my frustration to sound as though I am not grateful. I AM, so very grateful, for all of those lives that have been lost - both in the US and worldwide, in support of FREEDOM.


(this photo was taken by my daughter from her class trip to DC last spring)


BUT, we're going to make the most of today and have some FUN - even with the rain we've got coming down because of "Tropical Depression Ida" that came ashore yesterday and brought with it a lot of clouds too.

So, drum roll please . . . here's what the boys have decided to do for adding some FUN to our day! I'll report back later.

1.   Wii time while breakfast is cooking
2.   Cinnamon rolls for breakfast
3.   a walk in the woods (this one can only happen if we get a break from the rain and it's not too wet).
4.   painting their dino and dragon sets that Nana got them for their birthdays
5.   buy a few new books
6.   jump in rain puddles
7.   put together a puzzle (or two)
8.   make some paper airplanes and have airplane races around the house
9.   build with legos
10. play more Wii

(and of course, life can't all be FUN . . . we do have cleaning to do, as well as homework for the boys.) Like I said earlier, we'll report back with the FUN we had! I hope to cram in some scrapbooking time too, but we'll see how that goes.

Here's to YOU putting a little FUN in your life today!!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like a fun day!!! :) I can't wait until we get a Wii. And how fun is the puzzle putting together! My mom and I used to do that all the time. That sounds like a scrapbook page to me. :)

Irene said...

Yes! While we should be solemn when we are remembering those who died, I think they would have been pleased that your children are free to have FUN today!!

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I don't quite understand the middle of the week holiday either. Kids don't seem to understand what these days mean anyway. I hope you all have a fantastic day together though!

Rachel said...

Sounds like a busy day. Hope you have fun.

Kerry'd Away Designs said...

Sounds like such a fun day. I totally hear ya on the hyper kids. I took a group of boys to volleyball yesterday and my goodness they were all full of sillys (and these aren't kindergartners either these were boys 11 and 12!) They got alot out playing volleyball though.

Like your blog, I'll have to check back. I've enjoyed reading your posts.