Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Spending Some Time Looking Back

I'm taking a class (yes, another one - I know you're all looking at me like I'm crazy) over at Big Picture Scrapbooking with Ali Edwards, called Yesterday+Today. So far, everything's looking fabulous and very PERFECT for making sure we're scrapbooking what we want to scrapbook, NOW. We all have stories we want to tell, and this class is all about helping us stop procrastinating and TELLTHEM. Registration is open until October 7, so if you're interested, go sign up - RIGHT AWAY!

Now the point of this post is that part of our assignment this past week was to start looking back at our layouts and deciding what it is that we liked about them (those things that we'd do over) and what we'd absolutely love to do differently if we were to start over from scratch. So, over the course of the next week, I'm hoping to revisit a few OLDER layouts each day and share. Not only did I want to do this for class, but also for laughs sake with all of you new blog readers that may enjoying laughing at older pages right along with me.

So, without further adieu, here are a few layouts:


LUCKY - This was a layout from a challenge back in March (about why we're lucky) with a design from Cathy's Design Your Life class. I went WAY back to 1995 with this photo when Ed and I first met. It was at a Derby Days party when we were doing a mix and mingle for Ed's fraternity. By luck, we happened to end up on the same team for the fundraiser. I am very lucky that we have this photo - back before we were dating - that wasn't even from my camera. I love that I have this photo now saved and safely put away for our children and grandchildren in our scrapbooks.

What I like about this layout: I love the clean and simple design (thanks to Cathy) and I love the rare photo used and scrapbooked, and the 8.5x11 size for the single photo. I love the Thickers, I love the shimmer paper too, and that there wasn't too much of it to be overbearing.

What I would do differently: I don't think I'd change anything at this point. I don't like the "big block" of journaling, and I'd probably consider doing computer journaling. BUT, I'm afraid I'd still do it like I did it because I wanted a personal touch of ME in the design. It's a message from me about how lucky I was by going to that party . . . and it's a little hard to change my handwriting . . .


Work Tuff, Play Hard

What I like about this layout: I really like these photos and to me, they still feel like they're the focus. The paper and embellishments, while they support the story, don't really add or even tell the story.

What I would change if I were to do it again: I'd focus on the story behind these pictures. It's not too late to add this in, thank goodness, but i can't reprint the pictures or redo a layout because these weren't mine and they were my only copies. The story behind these pictures is why they're some of my favorite around . . . It was fall of 2003 and I had just had Lance, and my inlaws were up helping out with Matthew for the day. We had a new neighborhood being built just down the road and Matthew's favorite place to go was over to see the big construction trucks. His first birthday party was a construction zone, and even when Matthew started Kindergarten and Thunderbolt was adding on to their parking lot, Matthew was fascinated with the excavators and bulldozers and pavers . . . Machines like this have always been a favorite of his, and I love that he got to sit in the driver's seat of this big bulldozer when he was so young!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I enjoyed your review of past layouts. I haven't done this exercise yet. Tonight!

Laura said...

Nice job! You can always scan the whole page into your computer and crop the photos out. That's what I plan on doing with some of mine. Some of my stories could be told a little better. I have a lot of pages with no journaling. :)

Cheryl said...

What a great idea to look back at old LOs. Unfortunately, some of mine make me cringe, LOL.