Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Rebecca

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again" will be a quote I will not soon forget. That quote and it's following story (Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier) has overnight become one of my all-time favorite novels. The characters will not soon leave me, nor should I want them to. I dreamt of Manderley last night and I've never even been there.

I think Rebecca has become the best work of fiction I've read to-date, though don't hold me to that. It could be that I've just forgotten along the way (but usually that doesn't happen if it's an all-time favorite, does it?) . . . I read this book in less than 24 hours, and that was in between a holiday spent with family and fun yesterday. Needless to say, I've read other books in that time frame, but this one by and far, not only hit me with the characters and the plot, but also some wonderfully descriptive language . . .

Have you ever had one of those books just rock you to your core and became an instant favorite overnight? Feel free to share with me.

3 comments:

bcre8uv said...

Isn't it the BEST??? :)

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

I saw the movie in college but haven't read the book yet. I loved The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver.

Cheryl said...

That's on my to-read list. While not the best written book ever, The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton is one that will forever stay with me.