Monday, March 16, 2009

Wednesday dilimma . . .

to keep the kids out of school for a day of fun, or make them go . . .

My brother in law and his family are coming in town for the week (well to his parents home). They have decided that they're coming up on Wednesday to spend the day here in Jacksonville. Well, that's fine and dandy that their kids are on Spring Break, but mine, who are constantly struggling in school and have been missing days left and right due to illnesses, are being asked to take them out of school yet again for a day at the zoo. Now, as a teacher, I'm saying no way, and as a parent, I'm pretty much saying no way . . . but do I really want to cause a huge rift in the family because my brother in law and his family have traveled all the way from Texas to come and visit us for a day? UGH, I do not know what to do . . . I'm open to opinions. Maybe hearing ALL of the pros and cons would be a good thing. I know the boys would LOVE to head out with their cousin, as would Kristen . . . but it is kind of last minute and my younger two are having issues enough that showing them any kind of idea that school is not as important as the zoo or museum disgusts me . . .

I'm a little irritated that they'd even ask me this - since after all, they should know that my children can't afford to be out of school any more than they already have been in the last month.

HELP!!

1 comment:

bcre8uv said...

What about a half day? Drop them off in the a.m., pick them up at lunch, and meet your family for the afternoon.

Reece is in the same boat. He missed 3 1/2 days last week, and he has enough trouble keeping up as it is. I was ready to tear my hair out with all the extra homework this afternoon.

~T.