Sunday, March 15, 2009

Productive Weekend and How I approach Scrapbooking


I got to spend Saturday evening scrapbooking a bit on my closet floor!! HOORAYY!! (okay, do you hear the sarcasm because I really hate being on my FLOOR!) But it felt great to sit down and work on layouts for me, some that I've wanted to do for almost a year, and forget about our "decluttering" project and sick child for a bit.

Here are a few that I've been motivated to work on based on different approaches from Get Organized, Be Inspired. The main goal was to find out what felt natural to us in order to figure out where product and other items should find a logical home in our scrap space in order to help us flow better during creating a layout.

This was a photo first layout - I believe it went Photos - story - product - design. I only bought those sunflower paper piecings from a store that's been closed now for YEARS - and I bought them with the intention of using them with these photos. My daughter LOVED getting those little boutique dresses as gifts, and this was the first time that I really tried to take some more posed photos (with a 35 mm point and shoot) and they certainly didn't come out as anticipated. We were actually in Gainesville for an art exhibit that my father in law had done on Abe Lincoln. Needless to say, my daughter needed some "free time" for a bit and I was only 6 1/2 months pregnant with Matthew and had been on my feet for a long while. I'm glad I've got these photos (and more importantly the dress and it's story) now a part of our scrapbooks. This layout will be housed in my daughter's section.


This one was product first, design, photo, story . . . This photo was one I was so grateful for having category drawers for. I had bought the paper LAST St. Patty's day time so I could do a "lucky for" layout . . . I had no idea what photo(s) I'd be using, just that I liked the paper . . . so when I put it together this past weekend, I decided to focus on my husband. I went to my drawers, found this photo, and decided to write what I felt lucky about when I looked at it. As an FYI - this was the first photo of my future boyfriend, and husband, when we first finally got to talk. We had met 7 days earlier, but this was the party that we really started talking at and led to us dating. Look at how young we were (and skinny)!! lol This one will go into our US - together forever section


This one was story, design, photos, product (sorry for the glare from the flash). The design was from a sketch in Cathy's Design Your Life class and I was thrilled to use up even some more Scenic Route paper that I love. I did the journaling and used the design Cathy provided, then went in search of the photos and paper to coordinate. Another one for Kristen's section . . .


And finally:
This one was a Design First layout (design - product - photos - story). Needless to say, while it wasn't hard picking out the design first (it was a challenge to pick out the photos to "fit" and I will NEVER pick out product before I pick out my photos . . . it took WAY too long for me to find photos that matched the product I picked out AND the design I chose . . . whew! This one will be housed in our Things We Do albums . . .
There's one more that I'm working on - it was a tool first layout and I struggled big time. I don't even know if I'll finish it. Tools and techniques do not drive my scrapbooking and it was too much work the other night to really pick out what I was finally going to use (with what I actually still have here at home) based on tool/technique first.
What I learned is my natural flow is Photos - Story - Design - Product - Tool/Technique. I'll use this when i finally have space again to set up things in some zones. I also learned what part of the process I struggle with the most, and which really doesn't help me in my creativity, and I'll use that as a key to know what I need to purge, or what I need to find more resources on . . .
I hope you enjoy the layouts! I've really enjoyed the entire set of classes over at BPS. It does my soul good to know that I'm scrapbooking more as a family journalist rather than a boring historian trying to get all the facts straight and rather leaving me to tell the stories we have to share!
For now

2 comments:

StudioB said...

I guess at this point you hve to tkae what you can get...even if it means scrapping on the floor. The layouts look great and you probably feel energized to get these stories down and by getting to play.
TracyBzz

Cheryl said...

So fun to look at your layouts. Thanks for sharing!