Monday, February 16, 2009

Photo Filtering Process (tagging the best to seasonal highlight tags in PSE)

Okay, lots of questions about this, so I thought I'd explain my process a bit here. I can more easily walk you through this step by step. Remember, the purpose of the highlight folders is to filter out more photos. We take more photos than we can scrap in our lifetime - it's easily true, though not always as easy to accept. So, first step after uploading for me is to delete pictures that I just don't think are worth looking at again - either they're blurry, I got better shots, or they're too dark - whatever . . . I delete them.


Then, I always hope to go through this process I'm going to describe right away, but sometimes (oftentimes) things get in the way and I procrastinate until later (like 6 months later for me! LOL) Since it's been six months, in order to ONLY work with the photos I want in my Summer season highlight folder, I'm going to go to Find - Set date range. I set the range for the months I want in my "season" . . . in this case, it's June, July, and August. Even though we start school in August, I don't consider it fall . . . Take a look at the screen shot below:






These are photos only from my summer months. If you could see easily down at the bottom left, it has how many images are in those months. It shows 780. I can NOT afford to print or to ever find the time to scrap THAT MANY PHOTOS! Nor do I want to . . . can you imagine if you're parents, when you moved out of the house handed you 40,000 photos and said here, enjoy?? Crazy, isn't it? The idea is to filter, to give the best of the best over to printing to live in your storage binders so they are there and ready to scrap when you are.







I have my category/tags open over to the left ALL the time. I open up the subcategory where my 2008 highlights are all stored and start dragging over the photos that I do love the best. After dragging them over there, I ended up with 279 in that tag. Not half bad - actually, it's less than half! Please bear in mind that my summer is my biggest pile of photos as well - I have two children's birthdays, back to school, summer vacations, I went to a convention this past summer, AND I took Photography 101 over there at BPS too - so lots and lots of pictures . . .





So, from there, I click on the box next to Summer 2008 in order to have ONLY those in the tag in my browser window. I then go to the top menu bar and in the Edit Menu, scroll to Select All (aslo could do shortcut Ctrl + A). Then I head over to the FILE menu and scroll to MOVE (or Ctrl + Shift + V) and go to the Browse section - creating a new folder called Best of Summer 2008. I then click Okay and move them to their own seperate folder through PSE.



YES, these photos physically move out of the file that I initially upload them to (a month_year file) into their own seperate, which makes it so simple for me to upload to my preferred online shipping service - Shutterfly. Please know that I am okay with this. I can easily use my browser to find out what month or folder to go to in order to get more photos if I need to . . . This is a personal preference. Some copy their files to their desktop, or others email them immediately to shutterfly and place an order right then using the QuickShare service in the side menu with the tags/albums.



So, once I log into Shutterfly and get to the photo upload section. I open up my newly created folder and copy all the files inside and upload. I wait about an hour, come back, and go through and actually decide what I want printed and what sizes, and I'll sometimes try and crop in with their crop tool a little more. There are times when I won't print EVERYTHING in here, but that's usually because I've already printed it here at home and I still want it uploaded to my online archive in case of an emergency. Yep, I still print out the occassional photos at home if it's something recent and I've not done my bulk upload . . . Anyhow, once I decide on all of that, I place the order!

It's not too bad. Right now, my account is getting Free Shipping through the 18th with a $25 order, I've got the 20% off discount code via LOM AND I'm getting 15 free prints when I print 50. This order is going to be less than $50 - and I can handle that!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer!

1 comment:

MAM said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Do you think instead of moving the pictures you could just have another tag to identify them? I'm thinking of adopting this strategy.

You've been tagged over on my blog. Don't kill me - it's easy :)