Thursday, February 12, 2009

Evolution of a Scrap Space

Okay, so I realized I mentioned in a post or two ago that I was in Get Organized, Be Inpired, and of course, it naturally led to a few questions and requests about my scrap space. Well, I have a confession to make . . . my scrap space is now non-existent and I scrap on my kitchen table. I'm more than happy however, to share with you my transitions from where I started to where I am now. I originally started out in a guest room (before I had a digital camera and ever would have thought to take a picture of it). When I quickly outgrew that (or rather, my daughter outgrew her room, we traded spaces. I inherited her lavendar walls (ewww . . . ) and she got to repaint her space into a more versatile and girly color than the coral "beach" theme that I had going on in there.
january 2005 - just moved in and haven't figured out what I'm doing . . . There are literally piles everywhere and I'm so embarrased by the whole lot of the pictures that I even had that much stuff that I can't show them to you . . . sorry. But, I can show you what I have (below) once it was all put together . . . I also made the move to be down here so I could be near my two toddlers (2 and 3) at the time who napped/slept/played in the next room and we were joined by a bathroom . . . It was quite messy for a while, and then I had a friend, who loved to organize and stamp and scrap, come over and help me organize and purge . . . and she took what I purged and had a ball with it . . . but nonetheless, below is what I walked away with . . . it was beautiful - even with the lavendar - it was "stored nicely" and acceptable I guess . . . I didn't function well in the room in all honesty. Things were not located in an easy manner for me to get to what I loved and used the most and it was just NOT inspiring to me . . .
July 2007






Notice it was July 2007 (I had just finished my very first round of LOM in May), but you can't see my storage binders . . .my category drawers all had red labels in the beginning . . . something I recently changed because the red just seemed too bold and it didn't "go with" my library much . . . at any rate, about 3 months after I took these pictures, we decided to move my two boys into seperate rooms. The older one was getting ready to start Kdg in August and their "bedtime" was turning into playtime . . . so, I was booted from my well-stored, spacious room into . . .
the bay window of my master bedroom . . . Wow! Talk about having to purge even more! LOL
It rarely gets sun, but the natural light is beautiful . . . it's on the northern edge of the house and outside is covered pretty well in some moss! LOL I always daydreamed of having a fountain or pond out that window so I could hear the water. Anyhow, that's pictured below . . .

This was my space until just last weekend. I am in the GOBI class and a week ago Saturday was "Super Saturday" where we were to clear out our rooms and then sort and purge our supplies. Of course, the week before, my husband and I decided that we were going to sell our house. True to form, nothing is easy and works out the way our best intentions had! oops . . .
These were January 2008, and below was September 2008 . . . not a lot had really changed. I had to make my table function as more of a "household central" too - and moved my printer there and my bills - so I had put my ribbon in a container and hidden it away (actually, it made it into a clear lidded plastic shoebox container and overflowed, and it was on the floor under my bed - basically where the photos were taken).
(oh, and of course, it was clean here) . . . My category drawers for LOM are on the bottom right, above that are three drawers which house various things depending on what I'm into at the moment . . . one drawer always houses my enlargements that I've sent to be in my category drawers but are too big to fit) and above that in green are my square punch drawers. I have a green wire basket with my thickers and alpha rubons, along with my paper trimmer . . . next to that is a clear plastic tray from Dynamic Displays (have 8 others which weren't being used, but are now - longer story) . . . this tray holds my few layouts that I'm currently inspired to work on as well as when I complete layouts, they make their way here too . . . my Start Here Jar is shown, as is my Tote-ally cool tote which replaced my white pampered chef carousel . . . The letter files are my bills and to-do lists, and my printer (LOVE my printer)!! I also had a plastic storage container of items put in "cold storage" to see if I'd use them or not and when I didn't get into them after a while, it was time for them to go - I also kept my Xyron machine and my Bind it All with supplies in my closet . . .

I'll post some more updates soon regarding how well I've done/am doing with my "big purge" and my new "storage space." Honestly, it's in pretty much the same shape as I left it last weekend because my husband had gone out of town and we had a LOT of appointments for the kids - ortho for DD, OT for DS1, and carpet and pressure washing for the house, along with Library of Memories starting and volunteering at the school . . . I've got to make some progress this week though, as hubby will be out of town again, and he really doesn't like seeing the piles when he walks in the house! (oops)!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

TFS, April. Good luck with the big purge!